first Service Ryker 600

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
Charles
Been thanked: 0

first Service Ryker 600

#1 Post by Charles » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am

when should I service my Ryker 600 (first Service from new ) ....
Dealer indicated its not require until the 1st year is up or 10000 km , which ever comes first that from new

I have 1500KM should I go and get the oils checked ?

Aufgeblssen47
Has thanked: 0

Re: first Service Ryker 600

#2 Post by Aufgeblssen47 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am

At 6,000 miles. You can check your oil level yourself in the meantime - no need to bring it to the dealer!

Personally, I'm not changing my oil until 6,000 miles, even if it takes 2 years to get there. TIME does not deteriorate oil, only MILES do! (actually number of engine revs to be exact)
"Thumbs Up" from:
Charles904 Rally F1 Team

Charles
Been thanked: 0

#3 Post by Charles » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:24 am

thanks for your reply

904 Rally F1 Team

#4 Post by 904 Rally F1 Team » Wed May 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Aufgeblssen47 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am
At 6,000 miles. You can check your oil level yourself in the meantime - no need to bring it to the dealer!

Personally, I'm not changing my oil until 6,000 miles, even if it takes 2 years to get there. TIME does not deteriorate oil, only MILES do! (actually number of engine revs to be exact)
I totally agree. GO ICEMEN!
Heritage White panels - Aluminum Arm Guards - Sway Bar

Zoot

#5 Post by Zoot » Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm

I don't agree. Condensation can develop in engines which aren't operated long enough to get up to temperature and cook off the moisture. Unburned fuel can get into the engine, combustion products, etc. etc. "Worn out" oil is not the only reason to change,there is also contamination.1,000 miles of 1-mile trips are probably more damaging than a 1,000-mile weekend.

When a manufacturer's service schedule calls for xxx miles OR yy months, there is a reason.

Aufgeblssen47

#6 Post by Aufgeblssen47 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 am

Zoot wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm
I don't agree. Condensation can develop in engines which aren't operated long enough to get up to temperature and cook off the moisture. Unburned fuel can get into the engine, combustion products, etc. etc. "Worn out" oil is not the only reason to change,there is also contamination.1,000 miles of 1-mile trips are probably more damaging than a 1,000-mile weekend.

When a manufacturer's service schedule calls for xxx miles OR yy months, there is a reason.
But do YOU takes such short trips??? One must use one's own judgement, and act according to their particular unique situation. The manufacture's recommendation is based on WORST CASE SCENARIO, one which very infrequently will happen.

Besides, I can't imagine that ANY Ryker owner has theirs as strictly a commuter, going only to work 5 days a week, going 1/2 mile each way and coming home! (& never going for a RIDE!)

Even if somebody DID commute 1/2 mile round trips, and went for a nice RIDE on the weekend, it would NEGATE (i.e. remove/burn off) any moisture build-up!

Freezefm

#7 Post by Freezefm » Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 am

Charles wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:25 am
when should I service my Ryker 600 (first Service from new ) ....
Dealer indicated its not require until the 1st year is up or 10000 km , which ever comes first that from new

I have 1500KM should I go and get the oils checked ?
From the online manual...
FIRST INSPECTION
We recommend that after the first 5 000km (3,000mi) of operation, your vehicle be inspected by an authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing. The first maintenance is very important and must not be neglected. NOTE: The first inspection is at the expense of the vehicle owner. Werecommendthatthisinspectionbe signedby theauthorizedCan-AmOn-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing having performed the first inspection.

Francis
"Thumbs Up" from:
Charles
Ryker 600, 2-up spring, Passenger seat/folding backrest, Haze Blue

Zoot

#8 Post by Zoot » Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Aufgeblssen47 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 am
Zoot wrote:

But do YOU takes such short trips??? One must use one's own judgement, and act according to their particular unique situation. The manufacture's recommendation is based on WORST CASE SCENARIO, one which very infrequently will happen.

Besides, I can't imagine that ANY Ryker owner has theirs as strictly a commuter, going only to work 5 days a week, going 1/2 mile each way and coming home! (& never going for a RIDE!)

Even if somebody DID commute 1/2 mile round trips, and went for a nice RIDE on the weekend, it would NEGATE (i.e. remove/burn off) any moisture build-up!
So, with lots of caps and exclamation points and boldface, you are saying I am wrong because people ride more than the worst-case statemenet. My point, simply, is that elapsed time between oil changes does matter, not simply total miles covered. It's the same for brake fluid and coolant.

Aufgeblssen47

#9 Post by Aufgeblssen47 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:15 am

Zoot wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm
Aufgeblssen47 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 am
Zoot wrote:

So, with lots of caps and exclamation points and boldface, you are saying I am wrong because people ride more than the worst-case statemenet. My point, simply, is that elapsed time between oil changes does matter, not simply total miles covered. It's the same for brake fluid and coolant.
If you used "can" instead of "does" matter, you would have been dead nuts accurate. Since you didn't, not so much.

Do you do everything in your life assuming absolute worst case scenario? I don't - I live my life rather worry about can very unlikely happen, rather than live like Howard Hughes. :mrgreen:

I never change my brake fluid. If I start having a brake problem (i.e. mushy brake pedal), I change it. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it! :D

I also very occasionally test coolant with a gauge. Don't capriciously change it.