Your opinion?

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
Ajax
Has thanked: 0

Your opinion?

#1 Post by Ajax » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 am

Well, we aren’t quite Owners yet. But my wife and I have been looking at these really hard! Haven’t ridden one yet. But have gone and laid eyes and put hands on one. And as expected we got the usual sales pitch from the salesperson.

But I want to hear from you, actual owners, what do you think? Pro’s and con’s. 900 Ace or Rally. (Not really interested in the 600) And besides the suspension is there really a difference in handling of the two? Because I’m not a fan of the Rally wheels. IMO, the larger wheels seem to throw off the entire symmetry of the machine. And I don’t intend to do any “off roading”. So with that said, would the Ace suit my needs just as well as the Rally?

Open road handling?...how is it? Stable on the interstate at 70-75 in the midst of traffic? Any info you all can share would be greatly appreciated! And help in making our decision.

A little back story: I’m 57, and I’ve been around and rode motorcycles my entire life. (I ride/rode year round) But finally I sold my last motorcycle (a Victory) after a two year stint of Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. I just no longer felt comfortable riding on two wheels. Not knowing how my foot/ankle was going to react when I put it down...especially in a emergency situation.

I sold it this past November. And to be honest, I’ve been downright depressed ever since. But I had probably only ridden maybe 1000 miles in the last two years due to my foot. And I felt the bike was just wasting away sitting there. And this is the longest I’ve ever gone without a motorcycle of some sort. But I am ready to be back in the wind!

slingmods

Re: Your opinion?

#2 Post by slingmods » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:21 am

Hey Ajax, I'd go with the Ryker 900 for sure (street or rally), we have the 600 and it's a bit slow in our opinion. We have a Spyder RT and F3S and I can say first hand that the Ryker is alot more nimble and fun to ride. We're working on aftermarket suspension for the Ryker that we're road testing now.. as we felt the stock suspension made the bike feel a bit "top heavy" much like the Spyder line-up. You can't go wrong with the Ryker, especially at its price point!
Our Collection:
Rykers: 2019 Ryker 600 | 2019 Ryker 900 Rally
Spyders: 2017 F3-S | 2018 RT Limited | 2019 F3 Limited | 2020 RT
Slingshots: 2015 Base | 2015 SL | 2016.5 SLE | 2018 SLR | 2020 R

Thechamp73

#3 Post by Thechamp73 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 am

The rally gets more bang for your buck. You get more than just shocks.

srx660

#4 Post by srx660 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm

I bought the 900 ryker simply because i wanted a small around town cruiser with some short 150-200 mile trips to see the countryside. Since i also own both standard street bikes and off road enduro bikes i have no need for a off road trike like the rally. I love the ryker. It blows the big touring bikes off the road until around 70 mph. I've been up to 94 mph but really don't like it at those speeds. It will cruise at 70 all day long but i really don't ride it for that either, What i like is the 50-60 mph fast cruises thru the countryside with slowdowns in the scenic area's and stop's here and there when people want to know what i'm riding. A lot of people like how small the trike is and when i tell some the people interested in it that all there is to ride it is a throttle and a brake pedal. No shifting and no clutch means either twist the throttle or step on the brake.

One thing i did do right away was to adapt a old windshield off my 2007 honda shadow on to the ryker handlebars. They fit well enough to look like they were made for the ryker. No more wind blasting me in the chest and face. I now don't feel like i have to hang on the grips, just kinda rest there unto i get into some sharp turns. Usually run in eco mode as it gets 3 mpg more than sport mode (eco =36 mpg). Now to get rid of those bar-end mirror's and find some more suitable.

Ajax

#5 Post by Ajax » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 am

Thank you for the replies. It’s much appreciated.