Limp Home Mode

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
eyeisdee1
Has thanked: 0

Limp Home Mode

#1 Post by eyeisdee1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 pm

My Ryker Rally started having misfire issues. It would rough idle, then stall after a long ride and yellow Engine light would illuminate and then occasionally LIMP HOME mode. It had the dealer baffled at first service first trip in, cleared mis fire code and gave it an ok to go (when cold). When cold, no issues and that was the first clue. Finally the found one of the spark plugs was loose enough to cause blow by and loose spark plug wire. This was treated as warranty but I have to wonder how this loose spark plug issue got out out of the factory..
"Thumbs Up" from:
vmax3740

Dfwlatinah
Been thanked: 0

Re: Limp Home Mode

#2 Post by Dfwlatinah » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:41 pm

I had a spark plug misfire got it back out 0.8 miles and there’s the engine light again.
I’m a new rider so I feel discouraged

Dfwlatinah

#3 Post by Dfwlatinah » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Got it back from the spark plug replacement put 0.8 miles on it and got an engine light...they picked it up...no code...and no light...

Alfwelsh

#4 Post by Alfwelsh » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi, I had same issues, misfiring took it to dealer who initially after putting it on the diagnostic test came up with the main instrument panel was faulty said I needed a new one, ok I replied it’s still under warranty get me a new one, I phoned them back after a week to see if new clocks have arrived and being told I had to take it back into the shop and leav it so that they could link up there computer with some guy in Belgem, phoned them back a week later to be told it came up with the rear indicators were the problem, ( I had replaced them after I had broken one ) it was my fault, 🤔, so I replaced them again with a rather expensive pair, went out for a test but engine still missing a beat, not the indicators then.I then decided to check the spark plugs, after lifting up the clam shell to get to them I found that all three plugs were loose
So replaced them with new NGK iridium ones tightened them up then replaced the CVT belt the time I had the bodywork propped open ( 12,000 miles on the clock ) all back together and hay presto engine running sweet as a nut again.now here comes the strange one, I phoned the can am shop back and told them what I had found regarding the loose spark plugs and they told me that the plugs were not supposed to be tightened up,just supposed to be finger tight, no spanner’s required. so after all that has anyone else heard of such a thing as not tightened down spark plugs in there Ryker advise.I looked on u tube found one guy who says that they need to be torqued down to around 115 ft inches.
By the way, it took me around three and a half hours to do the work myself ( spark plugs and CVT belt ) and I am in a wheelchair paraplegic from my nipples down.
Alfie. 👨‍🦽.

MaxPower4U

#5 Post by MaxPower4U » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Wow, that's amazing you did all that work. I'm with you on the spark plugs. I would think about finding a different dealer as the person that told you the spark plugs need to be finger tight doesn't known much about a I.C.E. I always have done my own maintenance. I'm recovering from a stroke so I use a transport chair to roll around doing maintenance but I get er done! Gotta keep those wheeling!

MaxPower4U

#6 Post by MaxPower4U » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:59 pm

Wow, that's amazing you did all that work. I'm with you on the spark plugs. I would think about finding a different dealer as the person that told you the spark plugs need to be finger tight doesn't known much about a I.C.E. I always have done my own maintenance. I'm recovering from a stroke so I use a transport chair to roll around doing maintenance but I get er done! Gotta keep those wheeling!