Transitioning - 2 wheels to 3

New to the Ryker? New to forums? Introduce yourself and say hello! Ask questions and we can help you get going.
wmjweber02
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Transitioning - 2 wheels to 3

#1 Post by wmjweber02 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 am

I am not a Can-Am owner, but I am seriously considering one. I have been riding for over 50 years, but age and arthritis are catching up to me. I rode a Goldwing for about 25 years, but about 5 years ago it was clear that I needed to downsize. It just got too big and I could no longer get it up on the center stand or even push it around the garage. I bought the newly introduced Honda CTX 700 with ABS and DCT (BTW, that DCT is awesome. Honda really got it right). However, I am no longer confident I can even keep that one upright in all conditions. The riding is no problem but coming to a stop under anything but ideal conditions makes me worry about dropping it. My GF likes riding, but two up is no longer really an option for me. If I want to continue riding, it will have to be on 3 wheels.

So I tried an F3 at the dealer. It felt really unstable, like it would be in the ditch with the slightest excuse. Having been on two wheels so long, I have ingrained reactions. Counter steering is one. When I am riding and the bike drifts a little in the lane, it automatically corrects. I don’t even think about it. On the Can-Am, the drift just got worse, threatening to hit the curb, until I realized what I was doing wrong. When I got the DCT, I found myself reaching for the clutch on stressful stops even more than a year later. A harmless automatic response in that case. However, the wrong automatic response on a Can-Am could be disastrous.
I did not find much to like with the F3, but I could get used to it I suppose. It was much more noisy and rough than I expected. I really hated where they put the mirrors. I have not tried the Ryker yet. It could be a better choice for me.

I know it’s a lengthy post, so thanks for reading this far. When I am riding, I can’t imagine giving it up. But when I have to slow or stop, I know I can’t keep it up much longer. That demo ride was not fun, but maybe I could get used to it and still enjoy riding.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has switched to 3 wheels after decades of riding on two. How bad was the transition? It could not have been easy. Do you find 3 wheels as enjoyable as two? Did you seriously consider no longer riding? I am back and forth on this question.

Decon Blue

Re: Transitioning - 2 wheels to 3

#2 Post by Decon Blue » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 am

I went from 2 to 3 for different reason, but could not be happier. I was involved in a accident where a deer decided it need the same space on the road that I was in. Results were no longer can bend fingers on left hand. Fractured vertebrae, fractured shoulder, metal rods in left arm, lacerated spline. After lots of surgery and rehab I gave up on ever being able to ride again not having a clutch hand and then along comes the Ryker. It does take some getting used to after 55 years of 2 wheels but within couple days of really feeling out the Ryker I am convinced this was made for me !! Hope you find the Ryker fits you too. Ride Safe.