Do you lock your Ryker somehow?

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
Lekwed
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do you lock your Ryker somehow?

#1 Post by Lekwed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi folks!

Was wondering if you’re using any lock/anti-thief system other than the parking brake lock (if you added it)?

Are you more on simple U-lock, big chain with a sleeve, disck lock (w/w-o alarm), or nothing at all?
Thank you, come again! 8-)

smokes

Re: Do you lock your Ryker somehow?

#2 Post by smokes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:23 am

Personally I just keep it in a locked garage at home.

On the road I just use the parking brake and lock. If anyone is really desperate to steal it I think a few strong people could lift one wheel each and put it on a trailer, maybe two to a wheel would do it without much trouble. Locked wheels won't help you here.

What I'm saying is there's not much you can do to protect a Ryker parked on the street apart from an armed guard. Just have good insurance.
Andrew
2016 F3Limited & Ryker 600
Melbourne Australia

Now wash your hands

mikey

#3 Post by mikey » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:26 am

Just the parking break lock for me. I'm insured.

Ryk600

#4 Post by Ryk600 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 am

I do think it's kind of cheap of Can-Am to not at least include the parking brake lock, especially when they already nickel and dime on accessories. Every motorcycle I've had had some kind of steering lock. It won't stop someone who knows what they're doing from stealing it, but it keeps random people from "accidentally" disengaging the brake and letting it roll away, or some passive thief who's just looking for an easy steal.

rilawrence

#5 Post by rilawrence » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:08 am

Just the parking brake lock for me. Also insured. Check out TheLockPickingLawyer on YouTube for some honest lock reviews.

smokes

#6 Post by smokes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Ryk600 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 am
I do think it's kind of cheap of Can-Am to not at least include the parking brake lock, especially when they already nickel and dime on accessories. Every motorcycle I've had had some kind of steering lock. It won't stop someone who knows what they're doing from stealing it, but it keeps random people from "accidentally" disengaging the brake and letting it roll away, or some passive thief who's just looking for an easy steal.
I think it's interesting that the Rykers sold in Australia come with the parking brake lock supplied as standard while it's not in US.

A steering lock would be nice.
Andrew
2016 F3Limited & Ryker 600
Melbourne Australia

Now wash your hands

Figaro21
Has thanked: 0

#7 Post by Figaro21 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 pm

It has that weird key and I often forget to even take it out. I'll be walking around Walmart and suddenly think "Oh crap I left the key in it. Do I want to walk out to the lot or just assume most bad guys don't even know that's a key?"