What windscreen do you have

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
rmengel

What windscreen do you have

#1 Post by rmengel » Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am

Getting ready to get a Ryker but at 72 I need a shield. I see the little thing that they want $200 for and wonder if it does anything at all and then I see a lot of guys have used different shields and I wonder which ones they have ? It would help me and I know others if we could get a pic of your shield, how you like it and where you got it? Thanks very much in advance Rick
"Thumbs Up" from:
SKCSCW

Aufgeblssen47
Has thanked: 0

Re: What windscreen do you have

#2 Post by Aufgeblssen47 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 am

I got the factory one. You can get one for $179 including shipping, if you shop around. What it mainly does, is keep the wind coming up from the hood from making your helmet lift/pull upward. I hated when it did that! It also keeps SOME of the love bugs off my face shield.
Last edited by Aufgeblssen47 on Thu May 23, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KC61

#3 Post by KC61 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm getting the factory one also

mikey

#4 Post by mikey » Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 am

I've got the canam windscreen as well. I'm good with it.

smokes

#5 Post by smokes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:53 pm

I had the factory windshield fitted a few days ago and I'm now looking for other options. It's just not very effective and frankly, looks a bit silly.

Anyone have any ideas for a windshield that actually does what it should?
"Thumbs Up" from:
rmengel
Andrew
2016 F3Limited & Ryker 600
Melbourne Australia

Now wash your hands

Freezefm

#6 Post by Freezefm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 am

At 6' 1" I find that the factory shield does a good job of protecting my body, but the air seems to hit me in the face around the forehead when extended to the top. Doesn't really bother me too much since I wear a full face helmet.

Francis
Ryker 600, 2-up spring, Passenger seat/folding backrest, Haze Blue

srx660

#7 Post by srx660 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 am

I adapter a windscreen from a honda shadow 750 bike. Had to make my own 3/4 inch to 1 inch spacers to fit the canam handlebars. Used a healthcare walker leg to make the spacers. After cutting 2 - 7/8 spacer tubes, then cutting them in half, they are a perfect fit. Windscreen just fits over the computer screen and the top is just below nose level. No buffering problems at all and everything is tight. Front storage door opens fine too. win-win as far as i am concerned.

"Thumbs Up" from:
rmengelZootbbells

rmengel

#8 Post by rmengel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:34 am

srx660 could we get a few more pics ? like where it's mounted to the bar and your spacers. close-up's would be great, would you happen to remember where you got it and it's brand name. Thanks a lot Rick. Oh and it look great. I saw this pic elsewhere and was hopeing you would answer. Thanks again

Cyprescrow
Been thanked: 0

#9 Post by Cyprescrow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:06 am

I'm not a mechanic, to say the least. I've never been tinkering in the garage.
So it's difficult for me to know what goes and what doesn't.
Now I'm looking for a non-factory windshield to our Ryker Rally, as I find the
factory one almost a bit of a joke....especially considering the price.
I mean, You can get a twice the size windshield, for half the buck of the Ryker standard one.

A problem though is to know which ones you can mount on the Ryker. I realize it is impossible for anyone
to really know without taking a look at both the shield and the Ryker. But I was thinking there might be an
industry standard, as it usually is, when it comes to mounting, screws and grips and stuff.
I was kinda hoping someone hypothetically could say something along the lines of:
"Yep, you can use all the windshields from the Honda 1000cc series and the Yamaha 600 series, without any particular adjustments."
See what I mean.
All the best to ya all.

cattleshow

#10 Post by cattleshow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:18 am

Cyprescrow wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:06 am
I'm not a mechanic, to say the least. I've never been tinkering in the garage.
So it's difficult for me to know what goes and what doesn't.
Now I'm looking for a non-factory windshield to our Ryker Rally, as I find the
factory one almost a bit of a joke....especially considering the price.
I mean, You can get a twice the size windshield, for half the buck of the Ryker standard one.

A problem though is to know which ones you can mount on the Ryker. I realize it is impossible for anyone
to really know without taking a look at both the shield and the Ryker. But I was thinking there might be an
industry standard, as it usually is, when it comes to mounting, screws and grips and stuff.
I was kinda hoping someone hypothetically could say something along the lines of:
"Yep, you can use all the windshields from the Honda 1000cc series and the Yamaha 600 series, without any particular adjustments."
See what I mean.
All the best to ya all.
Most windscreens are handlebar mounted. Measure the width of your bar closest to the grip and find a shield that the arms would fit in that space.