Normal Sounds of a brand new ryker?

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
chaos2come
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Normal Sounds of a brand new ryker?

#1 Post by chaos2come » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Hello, fellow Ryker owners!

I just bought my first Can-Am Ryker about 2 weeks ago! First of all I can say I'm very happy with it! I've got the 900 ACE model. And so far no unusual things going on with it that I am aware of.
I'm new to the whole biker scene. I never before owned any kind of motorbike in my life, and I took a full weekend course on riding at my local Community College. And I now have my motorcycle license.
Like I mentioned earlier I didn't notice any unusual things going on with my Ryker. However, I would like to know what I should be listening for that would let me know that there is something
Unusual going on with my motor.

Right now I'm in North Carolina and it's very cold outside and wet. When I left work about an hour ago, I let my ryker warm up until the RPMs fell to about 800 and the engine was not idling high.
I noticed a louder than normal tapping sound coming from the right side of the engine that wasn't present until tonight. I noticed a very very small ticking noise when I first bought the trike, and I
figured that was just a normal engine noise,But tonight I noticed a little bit of a louder sound coming from the same side. Which eventually went away. Now once I got into my neighborhood I noticed
a very rapid tapping noise that wasn't loud but very subtle. I took off my helmet and rode it just a little ways down the street from my driveway to see if it was louder than what I heard from inside my helmet.

Which is a full-face helmet. But the rapid tapping/ticking sound, sounded the same from within the helmet as it did without the helmet. So, my question is: Should I be hearing any tapping noise coming from
the motor at all? Or is this just kind of a normal thing with brand new Rykers that need to be broken in? Over the past two weeks I got put over 400 miles making sure to break it in according to how the manual
says to do so. Also, there's kind of a clunking sound when I reverse or sometimes when I go forward at a very low speeds, but never anything like that once I hit the road and start
riding over 5 mph. What do I need to listen for that indicates that something may be a amiss with the motor in a brand-new Ryker.

Thank you in advance!
Have a blessed one!

poli

Re: Normal Sounds of a brand new ryker?

#2 Post by poli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 am

I can't speak for the tapping sounds because I always listen to music via a headset in my helmet but the clunking is normal, that's the driveshaft. Which is why you always want to make sure you're fully engaged after switching directions before giving it a lot of gas.
"Thumbs Up" from:
904 Rally F1 Team
RTS Spyder
Ryker Rally Edition

njfishfan

#3 Post by njfishfan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm

only had my rally for about a week and it makes a lot of noises I never heard on my street bike. It does make a lot cluck when first starting to accelerate which everyone said is normal. Rally runs great so I am not sweating it.
"Thumbs Up" from:
mikey

cattleshow

#4 Post by cattleshow » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 pm

We are closer to the engine on the Ryker than most motorcycles so that may be why its louder. I was getting a load clunk in reverse before I figured out that The RPM's were to high. It takes a few minutes on startup to drop down to 800 RPM .
"Thumbs Up" from:
joecools

slingmods

#5 Post by slingmods » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am

Yeah.. Our shop Ryker 600 makes a continuous "clacking" sound at very low speeds when first accelerating, which the dealer confirmed to be the CVT transmission. They said it was normal , but it's not a flattering sound by any means.
"Thumbs Up" from:
mikeycattleshow
Our Collection:
Rykers: 2019 Ryker 600 | 2019 Ryker 900 Rally
Spyders: 2017 F3-S | 2018 RT Limited | 2019 F3 Limited | 2020 RT
Slingshots: 2015 Base | 2015 SL | 2016.5 SLE | 2018 SLR | 2020 R

Kiwiryker

#6 Post by Kiwiryker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi from new Zealand my ryker 900 has all those sounds too but it has a buzzing sound from the front left if your sitting on bike just start 3weeks into owning it after 700km no clue on its origin but gets louder the more you rev the engine but not coming from it I'm positive on that. Please help on ideas I'm all out

njfishfan

#7 Post by njfishfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Kiwi, I also believe I am hearing the same thing. Thought I was imagining it but since u also hearing it , it must be something, but have no idea what it is. Did read a guy had a front wheel bearing replaced because he was hearing something.

Kiwiryker

#8 Post by Kiwiryker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:27 am

Njfishfan, a bearing I'll look into that but highly not likely here in nz all cars/ bikes get tested WOF to go on the road if fail no go and need to be fixed and bearings are part of that test. I'm still hearing it today best way to describe it is its like a ratel snake, but for us kiwis we not have them here so it also sounds like cicadas.
"Thumbs Up" from:
njfishfan

Kiwiryker

#9 Post by Kiwiryker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:32 am

I had wounded if it could be the water pump, or oil pumps or electrical.
My water and cooling look and going fine, oil levels ok electrical looks ok but not my strong point more In to the mechanics.
"Thumbs Up" from:
njfishfan

Zoot

#10 Post by Zoot » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:45 am

I had a bike start making a noise like that, turned out one of the body panels had loosened up and started rattling. The Ryker has a lot of plastic panels and the fitup sometimes isn't the best. I wonder if one has come loose.
"Thumbs Up" from:
joecoolscattleshow