Installation of Handbrakes on Ryker Rally

Questions about the Ryker Brakes or Suspension? This is the place@
robval1987
Has thanked: 0

Installation of Handbrakes on Ryker Rally

#1 Post by robval1987 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:40 am

So here we go, I am a 100% Disabled Vet with the loss of use of my legs. My son and I both purchased a 2019 Can Am Ryker Rally as I love to ride, and sense my Diagnosis I have lost the ability to ride my motorcycles and sold them all (being unable to stand, or shift and brake) definitely makes riding a challenge. The Ryker took alot of those issues away (not having to stand to hold the bike up, no shifting), but I still had to address the issue of braking (pretty important). Searched the web over and over and found nothing, so I decided if I wanted to ride I was going to have to figure out how to move the brakes from the right foot peg to the handlebars. NOW I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS AND AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR RIDE! After several days of research and careful planning I came up with the idea to have dual handlebar brakes, right side front brakes and left side rear brakes. The idea was to mount the brake handles and then connect the new brake lines into the Rykers brake system. This was done by using Double Banjo Bolts (you will have to weld the hole on the bottom of the banjo bolt closed, to prevent brake fluid from entering into the Rykers brake reservoir, rather then going to the brake calipers which is what you want). So here is what we did. We started by removing the hand guards off the handlebars, and installed a set of handlebar brake systems on each side (everything I used I ordered right off Amazon and I will list parts at the end). We then ran two new brake lines (Don't forget the 2 washer on the line) from the new brake handles down through the bike to the bottom near the Rykers original master cylinder. We then removed the 2 stock banjo bolts from the master cylinder and added the 2 new lines using the new double banjo bolts (dont forget each bolt has 3 washers) a washer goes on the end of the bolt, between each lineand between the last line and the Rykers master cylinder. The front hole is front brakes and the rear hole is back brakes. After we installed the new lines we then used a brake bleeding kit that I purchased from Harbor Freight ($35). We started with the front brakes and just like a car we started with the furthest wheel first, left front (sitting on the bike), then moved to the right wheel. Now we had front functional brakes. We then bleed the rear wheel (pretty easy there only one). So now we had front and rear brakes that were fully operational. So my son took it up and down the street, the brakes worked great, but we did get a VSS error (which I will explain why). Anyone with a Ryker know the start sequence (press brake, motor switch to run, turn throttle reverse and press start button). Well we learned after a bit of research that the factory brake switch has 4 wires coming from it (2 black and 2 red, which go to a connector and change to a (1 red wire, 1 white wire, 1 white wire with a purple tracer and 1 black wire with a violet tracer). So after speaking with Can Am Tech we knew what happened, the computer could not understand all the moving (acceleration, braking and turning, lean angles) without any input from the factory brake pedal and it thought something was wrong and threw a VSS code and put the Ryker into Limp mode for safety reasons. So we built a (Y) harness to come from each new handbrake down to the factory brake switch. With the help from the Tech we knew where to cut the wires (we cut the two black wires, which corresponds with the red wire and white wire at the connector). We now had brake lights on both handbrakes and could start the Ryker holding either handbrake in place of the foot brake in the start up process. We lowered the moveable foot break pedal down and out of the way.
Retired U.S.ARMY & LEO
Never drive faster then your Guardian Angel can fly... :D

robval1987

Re: Installation of Handbrakes on Ryker Rally

#2 Post by robval1987 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 am

How to resize pics to fit this forum? Any help would be great.
Retired U.S.ARMY & LEO

Alfwelsh
Been thanked: 0

#3 Post by Alfwelsh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 am

Hi,
Thanks for that,at least I know it’s possible to do.
I too am paraplegic, T7 complete thanks to a motorcycle accident twenty years ago,
Am chomping at the bit to get back on the road again so when I came across the Ryker I started getting all excited again for the first time in years.am hoping to get my new Ryker in the next few months but have to try and sort a way around this little problem first as if handbrake convention is done before the bike leaves the dealer I can get it VAT exempt.
Alfie

robval1987

#4 Post by robval1987 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 am

Ok everything has been working great, with the exception of a weld on one of the Banjo Bolts which allowed brake fluid to leak through to my foot brake reservoir. This allowed it to over fill and leak out. My initial goal was to be able to completely remove my foot brake assembly and run only Hand Brakes. So I decided to do just that. I purchased 2 Tee fittings and ran one set of lines (front brakes) to one Tee, and the second set of lines (rear brake) to the other Tee, I then capped off the third opening on each tee with a flange bolt (M10X1.25) cut to fit (approximately 1/2inch of threads) and added a brass washer to each bolt. Then I capped off the foot brake reservoir the same way, 2 flange bolts (M10X1.25), cut to fit (approximately 1/2 inch of threads) and then added a brass washer to seal off both openings on the foot brake master cylinder. I then removed the foot brake as it was obsolete and did not function anything. I'm still unable to remove the foot brake reservoir as it has two float sensors that detect low brake fluid, as soon as I can get around this I will be completely removing the foot brake master cylinder and reservoir from my Ryker as they serve no purpose now other then the float warning (low brake fluid warning). So to clarify all I did was remove the double Banjo Bolt and cap off the reservoir, and the used 2 tee fittings and tied together the front brake lines to 1 tee and the rear brake lines to another tee fitting and capped off the extra hole on the tee fittings. Here are the parts I used, 2 Tee Fittings from Amazon ($10) each and 4 flange bolts from Ace Hardware ($6) total for all 4 bolts. I will be adding more pics of the Tee fittings installed and all the Flange bolts capping off the different lines and foot brale master cylinder.
"Thumbs Up" from:
Alfwelsh
Retired U.S.ARMY & LEO

WoodyTSB

#5 Post by WoodyTSB » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Robval that is perfect, finally someone has taken the time to work out a solution for "Non standing" riders to be able to stop these things without using the foot brake.
Is there any chance that you can put together a step by step guide including any parts that you used to do your mods?
Obviously no responsibility o your part, just a guide to what you did to get the brakes up onto the bars.

Woody (Australia)

robval1987

#6 Post by robval1987 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:41 am

Well i don't know why I can't upload an pics, but this full write up with pics is available on the Spyder Lovers community forum under Ryker handlebar handbrakes. Sorry for the inconvenience hope this helps, also anyone can email or pm me and I will reply.
"Thumbs Up" from:
Woody68
Retired U.S.ARMY & LEO

spiderrm1664

#7 Post by spiderrm1664 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi, I have a 900 Rally. No use of right foot so had a clutch slave cylinder from a Land Rover fitted which actuates the brake. This is connected to a Yamaha master cylinder from a bike. Works a treat, been riding it for the past six months. The foot brake is still there should anyone else need to use it.
"Thumbs Up" from:
Alfwelsh

Alfwelsh

#8 Post by Alfwelsh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 am

Hi,
Any chance of any pictures how it works.trying to get my head around it. 🤔

HotRodLincoln

#9 Post by HotRodLincoln » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Why is there no kit out there yet is sad. Handbrake as at least an option, has been requested by many since the inception of the very first spyder.
Thank you for posting your setup. I bet if you put together a kit with instructions your trouble could lead to some gladly paid to profit. How much to buy two brake handle slave assy and hoses with hardware...$350? Add a couple hundred and offer it up.