Heated Grips?

Technical Discussion about the Electrical & Lighting related to the Ryker
McRyker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heated Grips?

#1 Post by McRyker » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Surely someone has wired up some heat; where did you tie into the electrical or did you just wire them hot and rely on your memory to turn them off? I worry that my memory is not that good anymore!!

OldNick

Re: Heated Grips?

#2 Post by OldNick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 am

I understand the alternator on the first year production Rykers has insufficient VA capacity to safely run heated grips and that is one of the reasons I'm told why it is not an option. For sure I'd like heated grips for early and late year riding in this part of Canada. I got spoiled from my 2 wheel years of riding with heated grips getting lots of use.

McRyker
Been thanked: 0

#3 Post by McRyker » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:11 am

Well, I hadn't heard about the alternator so I went ahead and installed a set of Oxford Heaterz. I had them on a prior two wheeler and liked them. I've been using them a little on the Ryker and so far no problems. According to Oxford, the grips draw 3.6 amps on average; surely the alternator can handle that. The new Heaterz have a nice feature: they sense when the alternator is not 'running' and shut off after 5 minutes. This feature can be disabled as well if one desires.

The biggest issue I had with installation was running the wires from the grips to the controller. I'm not totally pleased with the way I have them routed so will re-do them when it gets warmer.

OldNick

#4 Post by OldNick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 am

Good to see the grips seem to be working. If the alternator is really unable to provide the extra umph then over a long ride the battery might run down as it would be making up the difference. When I contacted the Company they are the one who explained the alternator limitation and rationalized it as keeping costs down which was a prime focus of the Ryker design as they focus on the younger starter rider segment. Do you plan to give a short video or diagrams on how you wired in the grips?

slingmods

#5 Post by slingmods » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am

Awesome. Taking the Ryker features a step closer to the more expensive bikes. Nice work!
Our Collection:
Rykers: 2019 Ryker 600 | 2019 Ryker 900 Rally
Spyders: 2017 F3-S | 2018 RT Limited | 2019 F3 Limited | 2020 RT
Slingshots: 2015 Base | 2015 SL | 2016.5 SLE | 2018 SLR | 2020 R