Decisions, decisions, decisions

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
peatmoss
Has thanked: 0

Decisions, decisions, decisions

#1 Post by peatmoss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Well I need so me help. I have a slingshot right now. My knees and hips hurt after I ride for a bit. I'm 6ft 260 built like a football player. I enjoy riding the slingshot. I took a spyder riding class and fell in love. I like the more open feeling of the spyder. So then the ryker came out and I thought it looked awesome. I love the simplicity of it and the look. So I started looking at the 900 ace and rally. Well I took my lady out in the slingshot last week and she loves being out on it. Will she be comfortable on the Ryker for a couple hour ride or so? Thats about all we do now with the slingshot. Will I miss my storage and tunes on my slingshot? I know they're two totally different animals. Or am I looking at the wrong ride all together if I'm replacing the Slingshot?

Thechamp73

Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions

#2 Post by Thechamp73 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Get a f3 or touring can am. Ryker is a sport bike imho.

mikey

#3 Post by mikey » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:11 am

I took my certification course on an F3. Compared to the ryker, it was a Lay-Z-Boy on wheels. Unless you're on a tight budget, it sounds like you should get a spyder.

peatmoss

#4 Post by peatmoss » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm

I hope I didn't sound too old. I'm only 36. I took my course on the F3 too. Do you think the Ryker wouldn't be comfortable for a couple hour trip for 2?

Ryk600

#5 Post by Ryk600 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pm

The ride is good on smooth roads but if like me you live in pot hole country, I feel each bump as bad or worse then when on my sport bikes. If you have hip or knee pain you may want to avoid the Ryker in my opinion. It's awesome to ride, but as others said it's not near as comfortable as the Spyder. It's shorter and lower to the ground too.

Ascended Master
Been thanked: 0

#6 Post by Ascended Master » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:35 pm

I rode it for about 6 hours one day and with a few 5 minute breaks in between. At the end of the day my feet and hands were a bit numb from vibration but I'm sure it could be solved with better clothing, and when I put more hours on it as I am a new rider. I live in a pot hole rich area, taking decent ones in the 40mph range wasn't really a problem (I have the non-Rally edition model). I've seen a few posts and videos talking about it being better for normal roads than the Rally. My friend in front of me rides a Suzuki Burgman 650 and he was having to slow down to dodge a lot of cracks and holes while I just cruised over them if I needed to. I haven't owned a motorcycle before but I do a lot of road cycling, and compared to that and my Prius this is extremely comfortable to me.

peatmoss

#7 Post by peatmoss » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 pm

So i wanted to update everyone. I went to the local can am shop to make a purchase. I couldn't stop looking at the Ryker display. I sat on them and loved them. However, after taking the advice on got on this site and the awesome deal I got from the dealer I bought a Can Am Spyder F3T. I wondered even when I rolled off the lot if I was going to wish I'd bought the Ryker. Well I've been riding it for a few days and absolutely love the F3T. I crank up the tunes, stretch out and ride. I think what I learned is what people have been saying on here. The Ryker is not a cheap Spyder. I have the radio, storage room and comfort for just taking off and riding. Now before you shun me..... As the toy fund recoups from the latest hit..... I plan to buy a Ryker for ripping around close to home. Maybe then I'll find some used ones. hahahah But thank you all for keeping real and putting the word out that this isn't a cheaper Spyder. It is a totally different breed!
"Thumbs Up" from:
Ryk600Zoot

slingmods

#8 Post by slingmods » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:23 pm

peatmoss wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 pm
So i wanted to update everyone. I went to the local can am shop to make a purchase. I couldn't stop looking at the Ryker display. I sat on them and loved them. However, after taking the advice on got on this site and the awesome deal I got from the dealer I bought a Can Am Spyder F3T. I wondered even when I rolled off the lot if I was going to wish I'd bought the Ryker. Well I've been riding it for a few days and absolutely love the F3T. I crank up the tunes, stretch out and ride. I think what I learned is what people have been saying on here. The Ryker is not a cheap Spyder. I have the radio, storage room and comfort for just taking off and riding. Now before you shun me..... As the toy fund recoups from the latest hit..... I plan to buy a Ryker for ripping around close to home. Maybe then I'll find some used ones. hahahah But thank you all for keeping real and putting the word out that this isn't a cheaper Spyder. It is a totally different breed!
Hey Peatmoss, I think you made a great choice for comfort. We have a Ryker, F3, RT and Several Slingshots. The F3-T is a good call as you get the quick acceleration, in comparison to an RT.. plug you get all the comfort amenities. The Ryker is absolutely amazing, but it's not more comfortable than a Spyder. As far as your Slingshot.. if you decide to keep that as well.. it sounds like you need new seats. Our "SS" style seats have a memory foam removable seat base and are made for bigger guys. I'm 6' 2" / 230 lbs. and the SS seats are by far the most comfortable seats we've tested over the last 5 years. Happy to set ya up with a nice discount if you decide to go that route. Here's a link to the seat i'm referring too. https://www.slingmods.com/prp-style-ss- ... ss%20seats

Thanks!
Our Collection:
Rykers: 2019 Ryker 600 | 2019 Ryker 900 Rally
Spyders: 2017 F3-S | 2018 RT Limited | 2019 F3 Limited | 2020 RT
Slingshots: 2015 Base | 2015 SL | 2016.5 SLE | 2018 SLR | 2020 R

Aufgeblssen47

#9 Post by Aufgeblssen47 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:31 pm

peatmoss wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 pm
Well I need so me help. I have a slingshot right now. My knees and hips hurt after I ride for a bit. I'm 6ft 260 built like a football player. I enjoy riding the slingshot. I took a spyder riding class and fell in love. I like the more open feeling of the spyder. So then the ryker came out and I thought it looked awesome. I love the simplicity of it and the look. So I started looking at the 900 ace and rally. Well I took my lady out in the slingshot last week and she loves being out on it. Will she be comfortable on the Ryker for a couple hour ride or so? Thats about all we do now with the slingshot. Will I miss my storage and tunes on my slingshot? I know they're two totally different animals. Or am I looking at the wrong ride all together if I'm replacing the Slingshot?
I had a 2015 Slingshot for about a year I got in April, 2015. Had it for about a year, but in central FL it was TOO HOT to ride it with about 6 month a year! (with the add'l heat coming thru the firewall and all). The Ryker is much more comfortable (temperature-wise).

After that, I had a Piaggio MP-3 500 reverse/leaning trike. I liked it, but it seemed too top heavy, and the locking front forks while stopped or going very slow did not work as I had expected, and I was STILL worried about toppling over at low speeds.

The Ryker is great, but a word of caution: The Slingshot had a rough ride on rough roads, but the Ryker is that much WORSE. Some of the (back) roads around here are pretty ripply in the center of the lane, but with three wheel that far apart, there is no way to straddle the ripples. So if you intend to stay on main, smooth roads, you'll be fine, but rough roads are a chore with the Ryker bouncing & swaying.