Alignment to Stabilize High Speed Handling

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
rbgiii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alignment to Stabilize High Speed Handling

#1 Post by rbgiii » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I live in Tampa and I have driven 3 different Ryker 900s, 2 Rally models and one non-Rally model. All 3 are touchy at high speeds, the 3rd one I have ridden is a Rally model I purchased and now own. If this was a car I would have the alignment adjusted to have more positive caster. Is it possible to align the Ryker 900 Rally to have more positive caster?

mikey

Re: Alignment to Stabilize High Speed Handling

#2 Post by mikey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

From whom did you purchase? I'm in Clearwater and trying to find the best dealer around.

RykerRider

#3 Post by RykerRider » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:26 am

:ugeek: I haven't experienced any high-speed handling issues. My Dealer seems to have done an excellent job with PDE. I rode the bike stock for about two weeks before installing the Fox Podium shocks all around and the upgraded red swaybar. In stock form, the handling is very good for anyone up to about 220 lbs or so. for anyone heavier or those planning on regularly carrying a pillion, I would recommend either the Rally version or upgrading to the KYB shocks as they seem to have a slightly stiffer spring rate than the stock shocks as well as an additional inch of ride height. but for the ultimate in ride control, compliance and ease of adjustment the Fox shocks are outstanding. The red swaybar dramatically reduces roll in corners and actually increases stability at high speeds, and eliminates the "darting" when changing lanes at speed. In terms of ride quality, I'll compare it to the difference between a "C"class and an "E" class... :ugeek:
THE RykeRyder....Beeoooootch!

Kiwiryker

#4 Post by Kiwiryker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi I have a 900 it handles great on the highway tarmac but NZ bumpy chipped back roads its a beast to handle I lowed tyer psi helped but I just need to be more pro active on my rides

Freezefm

#5 Post by Freezefm » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 am

For the "jumpiness" at highway speeds, check your alignment. My 600 would jump all around the lane when going over the ripples and tar-snakes. I lowered the tire pressure a couple of pounds per tire and it helped a little bit, but it still wandered. I found it would also pull to the right a bit. I had the dealer do an alignment, and it is now solid!

Francis
"Thumbs Up" from:
Zoot
Ryker 600, 2-up spring, Passenger seat/folding backrest, Haze Blue

Kiwiryker

#6 Post by Kiwiryker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 am

Thanks I'll look in to geeting one

freezfm

rbgiii

#7 Post by rbgiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:56 am

mikey wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm
From whom did you purchase? I'm in Clearwater and trying to find the best dealer around.
Purchases from Tampa Powersports. Good dealer so long as you work with the experienced folks there.

rbgiii

#8 Post by rbgiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:58 am

Freezefm wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 am
For the "jumpiness" at highway speeds, check your alignment. My 600 would jump all around the lane when going over the ripples and tar-snakes. I lowered the tire pressure a couple of pounds per tire and it helped a little bit, but it still wandered. I found it would also pull to the right a bit. I had the dealer do an alignment, and it is now solid!

Francis
I think I will need to have an alignment done also, thanks!

I think what I really need is a better shock solution, that is what has helped on my cars and trucks usually, mostly just colored accessories available now for the Ryker, not much real performance equipment.