High engine temp / limp mode

General discussion area on the Can-Am Ryker
Tim324
Has thanked: 0

High engine temp / limp mode

#1 Post by Tim324 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello everyone

New to this site. Just bought a Can am Ryker 900 last week. Had it delivered to my house and from the start I have noticed that the engine light comes on and off when it pleases. However when it is on it states "limp mode". If I turn it off and wait limp mode goes away.

Another issue I noticed for the first time yesterday was a message stating high engine temp. After 5 minutes I saw the indicator jumping up to full and message on the bike stated "Shut down"

Has anyone come across any of these issues? I spoke to the dealership and they said I need to come in and make an appointment so they can check it out. But I am nervous to drive it there as it is 25 miles from my home.

Thanks in advance for any help.
"Thumbs Up" from:
Kiwiryker

mikey

Re: High engine temp / limp mode

#2 Post by mikey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm

25 miles is a long way to go in limp mode.
Maybe you should get it trailered back to the dealer.
"Thumbs Up" from:
Zoot

Zoot

#3 Post by Zoot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I also think it should not be ridden 25 miles in limp mode.
If the dealer delivered it to your house presumably they can pick it up as well, under the circumstances.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the coolant level?

Tim324

#4 Post by Tim324 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 pm

I don't think I will be riding it to the dealership. it is not worth the risk. went outside a took a picture. Should this have been filled up completely? like I said I have only had the bike for about a week.
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 8931 times

Thechamp73

#5 Post by Thechamp73 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 am

No it is not. Check your owners manual.

Ascended Master
Been thanked: 0

#6 Post by Ascended Master » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:26 pm

The manual has a break-in period section that talks about this possibly happening, It says to pull over and let it cool down if the fans keep running. The only time my radiator has started running was when I was at the dealership picking it up while it was running for a few minutes when the ambient temp was mid 50's and a traffic light for like 6 minutes when it was also in the mid 50's. Were you riding in a hot and/or a highly congested area?

Tim324

#7 Post by Tim324 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 pm

I was at the DMV waiting for my turn to take the road test. I was just sitting there waiting. I would say it was about 55. It sounds very similar to your situation. But the fact that it told me to shut it down kind of freaked me out. However when I took it home I had no issues and it was balanced.

Just dropped it off at the dealership today.
The guy said the limp mode doesn’t worry him as he thinks that can be handled by the wiring. But will let me know more on the high engine temp.

Zoot

#8 Post by Zoot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 am

If you are seeing overheating at 55F, think what will happen this summer in Phoenix!
Hard to picture overheating being a normal part of break-in. The fans are there to keep it from overheating at a stop. If they don't do the job, there is definitely a problem whether due to design or set-up.

Tim324

#9 Post by Tim324 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am

Exactly! Chicago is not as bad as Phoenix but 55F I shouldn't have to be worried.

Waiting on dealership to call me. I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick process. My worry is that they will say it is fixed and once i take it home i will get the message again saying high engine temp.

Kiwiryker

#10 Post by Kiwiryker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am

Hi all, Im thinking there are gremlins in our bikes :), seriously thanks for this heads up.
I too had my own scare with warning lights not long after break in 2 weeks in, on a short ride heading home on highway and slowing for major intersection, the ! Light flashed once lucky I saw it it was that quick on /off again, but its never poped up since. As for the issue at hand my water level looks that low hard to see markings on tank but full I think is half way I've had no problems temp gage gos to half way and fan on if sitting for long periods.